Friday, April 1, 2011

4/1 Invisible Western Women! Where East Meets West, but lost in between…

4/1 Invisible Western Women!  Where East Meets West, but lost in between…
This is something that is very interesting to talk about, if you don’t mind… allow me to have another girly moment.  But really, guys you might as well admit that you do enjoy talking about this topic once in a while.  I just think that relationships are interesting to talk about from the perspective of a 20-something year-old American girl in China.  But let’s do some background reading first shall we?
I think that this article a friend sent me is right on the money!
Basically it summarizes several facts of life for us western girls her from abroad in China:
·         American men have yellow fever when the get here, and don’t seem to give us Western girls the time of day when it comes to ‘turning heads’ over here.
·         Most Western girls don’t seem to be interested / attracted to Asian men, maybe this is the fault of mass media.  Such is the case probably because wealthy women or women from a society of higher wealth are not expected by society to form romantic relationships with men from a society not as wealthy. (May I add: I do find some Asian men quite attractive and some quite unattractive, same goes for Western men, I think that all nationalities have their 帅各hunks, and their丑八怪…ugly ducklings)
·         Asian men are not as “aggressive” in their attempts of courting in general, and also seem to like the more passive chic that isn’t quite as “scary” as these “forward” Western women.
These facts and opinions basically draw the picture of a very dry relationship life for the Western Chic… kind of sad… but kinda true… this woman is stuck in a 矛盾 – the Western men are sick with yellow fever, and the Eastern men just don’t even want to go there because it is either too 麻烦 troublesome or they are scarred of us.  This article suggests that all we can do is start up conversation with Eastern men, and hope for the best… o(><)o
Could an Asian man please comment on this blog and shed some hope for us Western chics?  We’re cute right? Us Western women tend to come in a variety of shapes and sizes, more variety of hair color, generally xihuan 喜欢a “California glow” as compared to a “Snow White” skin color… We also like coffee slightly more than tea… a lot of us are super chill!  We can learn how to cook all the kungpao chicken you want!  In addition to pancakes and Beef Wellington… If I might add, I do think I make excellent fried rice and decent葱油饼 onion pancake!
From my experience, I’ve dated Asian before, and it went quite well –a year and a half relationship, and still on good terms.   For that stretch of time, I consider it to be quite successful.  However, keep in mind he was quite international, and I still think his English was probably better than mine.  But I totally feel the “fear factor” from the mainland Chinese boys if that is what it is after all… or it is just the “deer with headlights look.”  (0_0)  我们不咬人… I Don’t bite… hard? Lol (Just kidding).  But think about it: if they are too afraid to approach the Western girl, think she’s great but don’t like forward women… how the heck would a Western woman deal with that (supposing that she is attracted)?  Should we pretend to be shy to make them realize we’re not… that bad?  “Um  你好 nihao.. um hehe, my name is uh…我加..what’s ur name?    <giggle><giggle>
Sigh.. let’s just face it girls.. the Asian girls take the cake on this one!  Although we may have a more competitive brassiere size, they’re “fishing pool” is so much bigger than ours simply by default.  Not only that, but these yellow fever Western boys as boyfriends 男朋友’s sometimes give these ladies clout or face面子.  Once a close Asian girlfriend told me that this is an Asian girl secret (obviously that is not every case, but it seems to be a popular opinion about this kind of relationship here in mainland)… but I warn Asian about some of these Western men.. a lot of us Western women are aware that our boys are in the ‘know’ about this 面子(clout)thing and just use it to their advantage.
Thoughts? Perhaps I speak brazenly, but I feel sympathy for my breed!

3 comments:

  1. HI LOVER. Goodness I miss you. And I love your blogs...but I want to talk in person. Need to talk in person. Can you e-mail me your skype name?

    Also...we wanna skype you while we're all getting ready for Kayt's wedding on Saturday...around 315 our time...but that's SO LATE for you! Maybe even later after pictures just to say hi.

    Love you. Miss you. Can't wait to talk to you.
    YOUR CUZ (Britt)


    (OH: bpherman@asu.edu)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: HOLY GUAC YOU LOOK SO HOT IN THAT PICTURE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chinese-American here. Will throw in my two cents. Its because most Western women AREN'T interested in Asian men. And a lot of these women can be rather insulting in expressing their "disinterest" (repulsion might be the better word).

    Reading China expat blogs and message boards and how Western women (and Western men being a given) repeatedly demean the local Chinese men repeatedly, as a Chinese-American man, kind of makes me not want to even approach a "Western" women (even though technically, I'm Western myself). If I'm devalued by Westerners in my ancestral homeland, I can see why I am devalued in the West.

    Its unfortunate that the rare Western women who ARE interested in Asian/Chinese men don't get asked out by guys who feel exactly the way I do.

    Like the above poster said, your gorgeous. I don't know about China and Chinese men, but when you return to the USA, I hope most Asian-American men are not as embittered as I am, and actually take a chance at asking you out.

    I hope you find the(relationship)happiness you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete