Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 7 – One week, and I’m still standing!

 Lol  So, Ni hao各位你好, good day everyone, yes Day 7 has passed and I have lived one week in Nanjing!  Very cool!  Hehe..  Well yesterday was a good day to start =)  On mornings that I do not go running, I download and study one song.  Waking up with music seems to be a good way to ease into the Chinese-speaking day (warms me up).  I was almost late for class because I hadnt realized how quickly the time had passed, but just made it for our HSK preparatory class.  For those of you unfamiliar, the HSK is an official Chinese language exam for foreigners. Even though I hate standardized testing, this is a growing pain in my Chinese language learning that I must get through.  We will be taking this class twice a week.  The teacher was very kind 郭老- Teacher Guo and suggested that we should be writing in a diary every day.  So my big idea is to take this diary from my blog and translate it in Chinese.  I will probably start posting that as well for my Chinese friends back in the states.  After, I went to the 教育市 and purchased a lot of school supplies.  Chinese pens and notebooks are a lot more fun than ones in the U.S., despite the funny-incorrect English phrases ornamented all over the covers, they are generally more aesthetically pleasing, and really cute.  The pens are the best though!  I think I will start hoarding them to take back to the U.S.  Anyways left my things at home and met Natalie to go to my first class in the school of Journalism called 公共关系 Public Relations, It has a lot to do with how broadcasting influences the public.  I think it is very interesting.  The teachers name is Qi 祁老 Professor Qi.  He is a very captivating speaker, and also happens to be my Flagship Media Class professor, so I dont think I have to worry about him randomly leaving in the middle of the semester (I heard this was a problem last semester with one or two classes).
So the class was interesting, but what is even more interesting really, is the feeling of being an international student.  When we arrived, we didnt want to be in the line-of-fire front seats, nor did we want to be the unconfident 外国人 foreigners in the back.  The middle suited us.  And so the weird feeling is simply being the odd duck in the class.  No one gave us a hard time; Im just saying -it is strange to feel the eyes of others on ones back.
The class room was freezing, so after 公共关系 we grabbed some snacks, and headed to the last class of the day 南京的古都风光和文化异彩 which is a cultural / historical class on the city of Nanjing.  Quite useful indeed!  The teacher was a sweetheart!  His name was Chen, in his fifties; he wore small specks, had a warm smokers voice, and smiled all the time.  The three of us girls couldnt help being late because our last class was so far, but he didnt mind.  One joke he mentioned in class is that one of the flagship students a while back had said something highly improper upon introduction, 你好老师,嘿, 认识你的外婆!她很漂亮!I know your grandmother, and she is very pretty!
 OMG, which wise guy said that piece? Lol Anyways~ Jiten, Cali and I went to grab dinner around 9 鱼香茄子 fish sauce eggplant and 红烧牛肉 braised beef.  I came home, and tried reading a book that I had picked up at the store 欲望号街 A streetcar named desire  I have never seen the movie, and I when I was purchasing books, I thought when I saw it Why not?  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment