Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 9 - 卡拉OK ~ Karaoke!

So my morning was pretty usual I personally think that my Chinese breakfast burrito tastes much better without the seaweed part but thats just me.  Made some Nestle 2+1 dehydrated coffee (because unfortunately my French Press broke in my luggage on my way here!)  =(  !!!  Thats okay Dehydrated coffee is quite decent after youve been on it for a week. LOL
Our high level writing class had our first homework assignment due a self-introduction 自我介.  Before I left I had intended to hand this in to one of my teachers in the states, but hadnt had the time with travel preparation so this was a very convenient assignment!  We different types of Chinese compositions, and then for the most interesting segment of class, we discussed how we can make sure we answer the prompt question best.  For example, if we are told Write about your favorite person  The most common mistake among English-native speakers writing Chinese is that we tend to describe the person.  This seems obvious to us, if we are to write why we like someone, we describe their characteristics and that should obviously describe why we like them.  Chinese writing is different.  She said, when you look at the topic My favorite person我最喜欢的人there are three components:  melike and person” – we have to emphasize and write more about why we think this person is likeable, particularly How I am moved by this person  Seems like the same thing, but supposedly it is not!
 Anyways, after class I was invited to Karaoke with my roommates best friend from High School. I was flattered, not more than one week in my experience and I was already invited to Karaoke.  Big deal to me!  Things are looking up!  It was so much fun!  Even though it isnt really common to go in the early afternoon, it is cheaper.  So me 莹洁, and three of her other friends went, ate kettle corn, drank hot orange juice (yes this is a real thing people), and sang!  Chinese girls are quite talented I think when it comes to working their vocal cords.  I already knew about 7-8 Chinese songs, but I learned many more today that I will have to look up and practice.  Before I left, they made me sing Lady Gagas Bad Romance and Britney Spears’ “Hit Me Baby One More Time.  I did okay, they were really impressed, I dont know what for though! LOL
When I got back it was about dinner time, and I met (mentioned before) for dinner.  We got dumplings.  He is pretty chill, but I dont think he really knew what to talk about with me.  I told him that I would treat him for all the help with moving my things into my apartment and the cell phone, but he wouldnt have it! And he was much quicker to the draw with his wallet.  Seriously people, trying to pull out your wallet to pay for dinner in China is like watching a Western film Shoot-out you better be quick to the draw!  Ill get better  Anyways I think it gave him 面子face  to pay for a waiguo nvsheng foreign girl. 
6:00 came quickly, and it was time for Nanjing history class.  I love this class.  The teacher is fantastic, I described him before.  But, the last segment of class we talked about how it is to live with a Chinese roommate and what problems we could think of that may arise.  I have personally had amazing luck with roommates.  李岳is a sweetheart, but from my past experience I brought up in class. If a Chinese friend, (regardless if they are a roommate or not) asks you to do them a favor” – you better pay attention and do it! That is if you say you can do something, you should stick to your word, if you cant do it, say you cant.  In China, no matter what age this is a very important way to form good 关系 relationships.  I didnt have a bad experience, but I have noticed the asking of favors to be an important trend.  Anyways, -time to study.  <3  Caity!

1 comment:

  1. Ewwww...warm Orange Juice? Karoake sounded fun! It was great to see you and your apartment on skype last night. Enjoy your weekend! Much love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete