Sunday, February 27, 2011

Days 10 – 11 – 12 (Thanks for being so 耐心patient!)

Top o the mornn to ya!  I have just started my weekly routine!  Sorry it has taken me so long to write.  This weekend I just needed to figure out what my daily routine would be.. needed to also translate all of my other past journal entries.  So it has been quite a process.  But let me shed some on how this last weekend was.
So last time I mentioned I went to go get dinner with but I never mentioned this funny joke he told me that night. 
Fangyin: Okay, so he says Do you know how Americans count sheep before they go to sleep?
Me: Yes? We dont normally do this, I replied, but it is more of something we tell our kids to do, it is just a cutesy thing to say.
Fangyin: 方said, Actually our teachers told us it is because sheep rhymes with sleep.’”
Me: oh?
Fangyin: But the thing is you cant do that in Chinese because (yang sheep) doesnt rhyme with (shuijiao sleep)
Me: I never thought of that so what do you count?
Fangyin: Well we tried counting (shuijiao dumplings) but that doesnt work because it makes us hungry and think about food, so then we cant go to sleep!
Haha!  Funny cute little story isnt it?
Well  - that was from last Thursday.  Friday nothing much happened our class 负面转播got cancelled the class leader said it conflicted with the professors schedule so he moved it to next Wednesday well see if it worked.  Speaking of s (class leaders) the one from last Wednesdays 闻写作class wouldnt stop textn me! Lol I think he has a crush on me, its okay he offered to bring me a book about Nanjing culture how sweet.  Since he really wasnt my cup of tea, I had Natalie accompany me to pick up the book we all went for coffee later.  Luckily two other Flagship students were there, and I stealthily left to go meet my landlord 郭先生Mr. Guo to pay him the rest of my rent I didnt make that up, I actually had to do that.  But it was funny because 力沛 (Lipei the guy I was talkn about) thought he was coming too, but instead the other Flagship students took him to dinner!  Way to go team!  That night we went to Talking, a local bar I had a 虎牌啤酒 Tiger brand beer.  I was so surprised when the waiter came back with a huge 500ml for just 15 kuai this glass looked bigger than I was! Lol

Saturday the biggest event of the day was my trip to IKEA 宜家 I think this translation is funny because it literally says Cheap House LOL.  So Cali made this trip four subway stops and a 10 Kuai cab ride.  I was SOOO HAPPY.  Ikea is a marvelous place .  It is funny going in because some families with little children go, walking near the bed displays, there were actually kids sleeping in some of the beds.  People seemed to think Ikea displays were all meant for a hands-on type of experience I guess!  I came back with picture frames, a new French press, a small frying pan, and a small boiling pot all for about 100 kuai!  Cant beat that!  Can I just make a small mention to those of you out there who may travel to China:  There are a lot of people out there who may see that you have difficulty catching a cab they may offer to give you a ride.  People Just say No!  Some of these folks could be bluffing, and you could get yourself into a compromising situation.  Just travel smart!
Sunday I had Cali meet my roommates best friend 莹洁 (Shao Yingjie The girl who took me to Karaoke).  This girl is a sweetheart, so I tried to see if I could hook her up with her own room living with Cali.  My roommate (the night before) was like, omg, shes asking me What should I wear when I meet cali? haha!  I said, Cali definitely is not going to care! Too funny!?  But a lot of people here seem eager to be friends with international students, which is a good thing for me, but I try to let them know we are definitely NOT fashion police when choosing roommates in China.  After we had lunch together 邵莹洁 and my roommate李岳 took me to an art supplies store to buy an easel, paints, and brushes!  Im going to start painting and drawing again!  So excited!  莹洁is so cute, she linked arms with me all the way there.  I spent the rest of my Sunday studying, and figuring out my new Nanjing daily routine
So far so good!  I made a piece of toast this morning with my new frying pan!  I made brewed coffee with my new French press!  It is raining outside, but I like the rain =) Today is a good day My posts should be frequent (daily) from now on!
 凯琳 ~ Caity 

1 comment:

  1. I though you packed your coffee press? Is it different than "French Press?" Did you forget Uncle Dave's picture? If so, I can mail it to you. Great to see you this weekend on Skype! Hugs & Kisses...have a great week. Should be warming up here a bit this week, most likely mid 70's. Talk soon :)

    ReplyDelete