Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 13 - The homework begins!

哎呀! ayya!  Homework homework homework.   Our roommates are mandated by our living contracts to tutor us every week for five hours.  So what I have planned is to have her help me translate this - my daily diary, every weekday for one hour. It is a useful thing to do, i will be forced to write daily.  However some of my diary entries I have realized are painfully long. LOL so it literally took me an hour to translate, and an hour to discuss my last writing with 李岳.  ha, The 'day 3' entry turned out to be about 1600 chinese characters long.  She was so funny reading it, it just happened to be the journal entry where I meet her.  I told her, "Now 李岳,you are the only person I'll let see my diary," (well she doesn't exactly know this is a blogshe was funny, "ohhh, lol" she made fun of me. And then when we got to the part where she came in she was like "oh this is where I come in!  Let's see if you wrote any 坏事 thing bad LOL"  It was fun.  It seems when I write just a Chinese article without translating too much English I do much better than when I translate directly from English.  For example, I wrote that I liked my room and apartment so much that I felt spoiled.  In average Chinese writing, one might not usually write that - but when I told her it is a 'silly' thing to say, she understood and was laughing hysterically - "Oh my goodness, you are soo cute!  I'm defintely going to find a man for you..."  haha ok 李岳 Liyue... but here we can see two things - quick before I run off to class 1 - Chinese people are very careful how they describe things, for example: being spoiled is more literal, kind of a bad thing, and would not be used in such a cutesy way, and second: the more child-like, the more youthful, the more attractive a young girl is.  It seems like Cute = Eastern Aesthetic beauty  Sexy = Western Aesthetic beauty. Interesting!  Gotta go 上课 (shangke) to class

Love -可爱

No comments:

Post a Comment