Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 16-17 Huangdi’s sleeping place =)

Day 16-17 Huangdi’s sleeping place  =)

Good Evening – Today is day 16 - 17 and I just had the best pizza!  Now, I know what you’re thinking, I’m not being weak!  I swear!  I was invited out to dinner tonight with a group of friends.  I’m going to do this email in reverse I think… it makes me think of Jim Carey – is it Liar Liar? Or is it Ace Ventura? I remember one scene in which he actually acts backwards and it made me laugh until my side hurt.  So I am having a glass of red wine in bed right now.  I can’t get on the internet  =( u will receive this on day 18.
 I was going to look up music or a movie right now.  I came home and I think I almost walked in on my roomy and her bf!  Oops!  I looked near the front door for boy-shoes before I came into her room, but lol he must be wearing them. . .  Do the Chinese have a custom similar to the American one of putting a hat on the doorknob?  In my country, It is quite a useful custom.  I came home kind of late tonight – 11:00.  I went to check and see if Cali was alive.  Turns out she is doing much much better!  Good thing!  She looks about 9 pounds thinner, poor thing!  She is almost certain, according to her internet self-diagnosis that she had salmonella.  Horrible!  On the way to visit Cali, I was accompanied by Natalie (Mississippi classmate), on the way to Cali’s we stopped at McDonald’s for 3 kuai ice-cream cones!  Dinner was great, she had some 同学she knew from Beijing, who just happened to be in town and leaving for the states next week.  Why is it that the students here who are about to go to the U.S. want to eat Western food right before they go? LOL
I have to admit, the pizza was very good.  A little hole-in-the-wall place.  Apparently, the Chinese owner has some Italian in his family, he spent some time living in Italy and cooking on a cruise ship.  He definitely knew what he was doing! Before dinner I had to write a 2-3 page summary of my classes in Chinese in shumian yu书面语which means in-book Chinese.  For those of you unfamiliar, kouyu口语 (spoken Chinese) and 书面语 (formal Chinese) are quite different.  I have to do this weekly!       X_X
I had grabbed a coffee with hazelnut flavor (favorite) at the Chinese business school to aid me with this arduous task =)  jk, (it’s not that bad if you take detailed notes ;) ) -and ran into my good friends J.P. and his wife太太 (taitai).  Very sweet couple!  They invited me over for dinner sometime.  It is so comforting to see familiar faces.  I was tired after all – I had just come from an outing – I went to 中山陵.  Our professor described it as “中国皇帝睡觉的地方”Chinese Emperor’s sleeping place (tomb). - Very beautiful place.  I took many pictures, but also many pictures were taken of me.  I counted 12 people coming up to me (this is not counting the people who didn’t even ask and took my picture).  In the states one might be flattered, somebody wants my picture!  But, I do feel like some exotic animal like Natalie described before Lol.  I thought before China, maybe now that my hair is darker, it will make my 回头率 turn-head-rate go down, but I don’t think it matters what color my hair is after today, it seemed the same.  I started getting sassy with them and said “Ok一块钱okay, but it will be one dollar My teacher told me that price was too low.  LOL
Other than that I had media class this morning.  Nothing special – it’s supposed to rain tomorrow.  I think I’ll stay indoors tomorrow and just study, maybe I’ll get into my art things and paint something?  Write a letter home or something?  I have quite a few pics I’d like to put up for you to see.  Miss you =) BTW – if any of my friends or teachers know anyone in Nanjing and happens to read this, I would love to meet more people!  I’m meeting new friends every day, but sometimes friends of friends are the best of the bunch!

蓝凯琳

1 comment: