Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 14 - 15 Bicycle, Bicycle, I want to ride my bicycle......

Day 14 - 15 Bicycle, Bicycle, I want to ride my bicycle…
各位晚上好… Good evening everyone!  Actually – good morning to you ? I’m writing this and I realize it is actually your very early morning – what a day it has been – actually I am writing this a little later than usual, so it actually it has been a day-and-a-half.  So what’s new?  I’d love to hear about how everyone is doing at home?  So the most exciting thing that happened the other day was that Cali and I had dinner!  We just randomly decided to stop somewhere on 宁海路 and get somethin’ to eat.  Poor Cali though, supposedly it didn’t settle well with her and yesterday she couldn’t come to class because of food poisoning!  Awful!  That is definitely not what you want to happen your second week at Nanjing.  She thinks it was funky tofu or bad egg, but I have a suspicion it was the turn-table sushi place we went to.  I am highly cautious with sushi unless I am told it is known to be good.  During the time we went to the sushi place I stuck with seaweed salad, lots of ginger, and sweet-egg rolls; Cali had Salmon and yellow tail Nigiri.  Nothing happened to me so far; but I will say a prayer for Cali.
Yesterday after class I had to go to the bank to pay my study fee.  Everything is a process, as is in the U.S. it is also in China.  ASU paid the Flagship Chinese program, my director gave me cash in USD, then I signed a waiver, I went to the bank, pulled a ticket, stayed in line, exchanged the money, got a lot of stamped documents, and then the teller took the exchanged money and deposited it into Nanjing Universities account.  My Nanjing semester for 12 ASU credits costs:  1510 USD.  Now I have to pay ASU. Ha! Wrap your head around that!  I had coffee with me to pass the time, good thing!
On my way back to class (公共关系 ) at 4:00 I found a piano store, and I thought, why don’t I have a look-sy?  Even though I don’t have my music, I thought they may have practice times available.  All I have to do is call their business card, schedule a time, and then pay 20 kuai per hour -awesome!  I may have my mom send me my music!
Class today was good – I got to go to 负面新闻转播 – negative journalism broadcasting.  It is directly related to my Boren thesis so I’m particularly happy about that.  It was very interesting!  There were a total of 10 students including myself.  The teacher has kind of a thick accent – all of his sh’s, ch’s, z’s and c’s blend into a lovely “scz” sound…  I’ll get used to it!  At least he has very detailed powerpoints!
Now the highlight of the evening is the bicycle story: One of my classmates, Adam, was given a bike as a gift from his neighbor.  He really liked this bike!  But he forgot to lock it when he went to class – big mistake!  It was stolen while he was in class, so poor Adam had to walk quite a long way for HSK class and ended up being late.  After dinner, I ran into Adam at a bicycle repair stand.  Apparently he asked the repair stand if they had bikes for sale.  The laoban 老板 (boss) said, “Why yes, yes we do, how about this nice black one?”  Low and behold, his lock was on the bike – locked.  “That’s strange?” said Adam, “My bike was not black!?” How qiguai 奇怪 (strange).  So Adam tries opening the lock with his key, and as if magic –it opens!  Wow!  Someone had stolen his bike within two hours, spray painted it, sold it, and politely re-locked it for him… how sweet? LOL The Laoban said he would be happy to sell it to Adam for 40 kuai and then fix it for him for free!  How do you like that?  Well, to uphold his honor to his neighbor who was so kind to give him the gift, Adam gave the bike repair stand the $5-$6 dollars for his stolen bike.  The end!  =-)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting bike story...very strange indeed! And, yes...I will gladly mail you your piano music :) Mom

    ReplyDelete